Sunday, November 17, 2013

gram

so i have been checking on her daily since her fall. watching the progress of one black eye turn into two black eyes and a bruised nose. The nursing home can be a sad place but sometimes those people can put a smile on your face...

  • 11-16-13, sheena and I were visiting with grandma by the nurses desk, they have her sitting in her wheelchair there so they can keep an eye on her. She was snoozing but woke up and smiled at me and said hello. She opened her mouth like a little bird so i could put a dove chocolate in her tiny, no teeth mouth. Residents stopped and talked to us as they wheeled by. One man stopped and said "i went on a date with her, before Emmett of course, oh my christopher that was a long time ago". His name is Milton Pascoe, i learned something i never knew about my gram. He headed off down the hallway with his walker. Right behind him was his sister in her wheelchair. She stopped and said hello, she had a pink flower in her pretty white hair. I commented on it and she said she never goes anywhere without one. She was sucking on a sucker and the red sucker had leaked into her little lines around her mouth. I brought gram 2 new pairs of pants and 2 new turtlenecks.
here is gram sucking on her dove chocolate, she may look like Rocky Balboa but she seems to be happy
  • 11-15-13, gram wasn't in the mood to talk. She was eating in the dining room so i talked with the great aides who have the patience of saints. 
  • 11-14-13, i stopped to check on gram and she was sleeping. I brought her some flowers and a bag of dove chocolates. I noticed her pants had seen better days. I usually do a clothes inventory around her birthday but forgot this year. I threw out 2 pairs of pants, the washer and dryer really is hard on clothing but i am glad they offer this service to their residents.
  • 11-13-13, gram fell. Amy and i met the ambulance back at the nursing home. Amy leaned in to kiss gram goodbye and gram said "don't hurry back". Sometimes her alzheimers gets the best of her but we both laughed because she said it loud.

1 comment:

  1. This picture makes me smile through tears. Tears because she looks so bad with those bruises around her eyes. Feel so sorry for her! But then I smile because I know she's happy there just sucking on a chocolate. Poor Gram...

    ReplyDelete