Sunday, November 6, 2011

the ole bird aka my gram

the last few visits i have had with my gram have not been good, she could barely keep her eyes open and i am not sure she even knew who i was. Today was a great day! I walked in Eastwood to see her coming out of the dining room, she got a big smile on her face when she saw me, i gave her a kiss and pushed her back to her room. She got into bed and told me to "clean up that shelf", of course i did this asap, this shelf has frames of loved ones, plants, etc. Her hearing is getting worse but when your 93 i guess any hearing is good. I was sitting in her recliner but she told me to move closer and sit in her wheelchair.

She asked me who had babies, she told me she thought there were 3 babies born. I explained that Amy is the only one that has had a baby, she knew his name was Emmett. I told her Cori's baby is 4, Beth's baby is 3 and my baby is 15, i don't think she believed me. She wants to get a present for baby Em but she said she has no money. I told her i would buy something and put her name on it if she wanted me to, she told me to get some money from the "big shit ass" aka my grandpa, her husband (who passed away 9 years ago)....oh the love!

She asked how many i have at home, i said 6. she knew steven's name, she asked where he was and i told him work. She knew that working on a sunday meant more money and said "that's good he's at work, don't tell him i said that". she's on fire! She asked what i had been up to and i said i went to church this morning, her response "i am so glad you are going to church" "i shouldn't have said that". she said that twice throughout our visit. She asked if my mom, her daughter, was still working. I said no, she said "i thought she liked that job, well i guess it's good she quit if she didn't like it" (my mom passed away 18 years ago).

She starts slipping a little more due to that f'ing alzheimers disease. She asked if i had seen her sisters lately. She told me Bruce (who passed away 5 years ago) was out east "he had traveled out there with a friend, i can't remember the friends name, but his friend only stayed two weeks because he was lonely for his family". Corky (aka my gram) continued on, she told me "there was a letter here that Bruce brought staying grandpa was living with some friends, close to Iron Mountain, you know, close to the girls". Really? did she just imply that my grandpa was fooling around with some chicks? i had to hold back my smile, she was very serious about this. I leaned in and gave her a kiss and told her i loved her. She asked why i came to visit today and I told her "to get off your list and because i missed you". She laughed at me and started to cough! She knows i am not a big huggy kissy kind of girl but did she really have to laugh at me? my word i do miss THIS grandma, she is such a bird!

The nurse came into her room and said bingo was starting. Since she was up and with it i thought she should go. I brushed her hair, got scolded for not doing it the right way and then i helped her put her shoes one. She coughed, something came up with that cough and she leaned over the garbage and spit it out "PIG" she said, i don't think i have ever seen my gram spit I wheeled her down to the lunch room, we stopped and said hi to Milton & Merton my uncle shorty's twin brothers (they are so darn cute!). i tried to find her a card with 13 in the corner, since thats her favorite card. Couldn't find one but she didn't care. I kissed her again and told her i loved her again, she smiled and said "thanks for coming Cindi" and i left.

I am glad i went today, sometimes it is a struggle. I don't want to see what is left of the grandmother i love, sad, lonely and not able to remember. thanks for the great visit Gram, i promised i would come more often...i love you Olive, xoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment